Bubble tea is becoming very popular here in New Zealand. Although a lot of people think it’s hard to make, it is actually very simple and a lot faster to cook compared to commercial dry pearls. If you want, you can even freeze the pearls before you cook!
Cooking time: 20 minutes
Ingredients for Black Pearls:
55g Tapioca flour + extra for dusting
3 Tbsp boiling water
1/8 tsp black food colouring
1 Tbsp corn syrup / honey / sugar syrup
Ingredients for Chai Milk Tea:
2 cups water
5 green cardamom
1 cinnamon stick (3g)
2 tea bags (I use English Breakfast)
3 Tbsp Brown sugar
- Put tapioca flour in a bowl. Mix black food colouring with boiling water and add the hot water to the tapioca flour, mixing with a spoon or fork until you can handle with your hands. (Please make sure to use boiling water for this! Otherwise it will not work).
- Dust bench with tapioca flour and knead the dough until it is nice and smooth (2-3 minutes).
- Divide the dough into 4 portions and cover 3 with cling wrap so it doesn’t dry out. Roll out one portion of the dough with your hand and make it into a thin log. Cut into smaller pieces (5-7mm) and roll into small balls with your fingers. Try to keep them even in size to allow an even cooking time. Make the remaining 3 sections of dough into small tapioca balls.
- Boil 1.25L of water in a medium size pot and add all of the tapioca balls. Reduce to a medium high heat and cook for 15 minutes.
- Drain the water and place tapioca balls in a bowl. Drizzle corn syrup/honey/sugar syrup on top of the balls and mix with a spoon – this will prevent the tapioca balls from sticking together. Set aside.
- To make tea, add all of the ingredients (except milk) in a small pot and bring to the boil. Reduce to a medium heat and cook for 3-5 minutes until spices are infused into the tea. Remove from heat, strain and let it cool. You will have approximately 350ml – 400ml of black chai tea. You can make this in advance and chill it in the fridge.
- Divide tapioca balls into two glasses and pour in the black tea. Add ice cubes and milk if you desire, to make your delicious bubble tea!