Anyone who loves potato chips must try renkon chips. Renkon is a lotus root with a unique texture. Enjoy with this seasoning mix sprinkled on top for extra flavor – the perfect match with a cold beer!
Preparation time: 5 minutes
Cooking time: 20 minutes
1 tsp vinegar
2-3 frozen lotus roots (renkon), defrosted and finely sliced
Canola oil, for deep-frying
1 tsp sea salt
¼ tsp chilli flakes
Zest of ½ lime
- Preheat oven to 180˚C. Stir vinegar into 1 litre of cold water.
- Soak lotus root in vinegar water for 2 minutes to avoid discolouration. Pat dry with paper towel and place on a paper-lined baking tray.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes to dehydrate the lotus root (this will make the chips crispy later on).
- Heat oil in a small pan or wok to 180˚C and deep-fry lotus root for 1 minute or until light golden.
- Meanwhile, to make seasoning, mix together all the ingredients.
- Drain chips on paper towel and sprinkle with seasoning while still hot. Store in an airtight container for up to a few days.