Looking for something fun and tasty to make at home? Why not give these bao buns a try! Warm soft bao buns paired with crunchy deep fried chicken goes down a treat for lunch or as an afternoon snack with friends and family.
Makes: 6 small buns
6 x bao buns (small)
120g purple cabbage, shredded
Fresh coriander to garnish
Toasted sesame seeds to garnish
Fried chicken coating
450g chicken thigh, cut into big bite sizes
100g plain flour
1½ tsp garlic powder
1½ tsp onion powder
1 tsp salt
½ tsp ground white pepper
3 Tbsp soy sauce
3 Tbsp grain vinegar / white vinegar
2 Tbsp Gochujang (Korean chili paste)
2 Tbsp tomato sauce
1 Tbsp white sesame seeds
100g white sugar
- First, mix the fried chicken coating ingredients together in a bowl and set aside.
- In a small pot, mix together the Korean sauce ingredients and bring to the boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 2 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Heat up oil in a wok or deep fryer at 180 degrees.
- While the oil is heating up you can steam the bao buns. To do this, first heat up water in a large pot. Place cooking paper inside a bamboo (or other steamer of your choice) and place bao buns inside. Place the lid on top and steam bao buns as per packet instruction or until soft and fluffy.
- Dust the chicken with the coating mixture and deep-fry for 4-5 minutes or until cooked through. Place chicken on paper towels to soak up any excess oil then transfer to a large bowl.
- Next, coat the fried chicken with the Korean sauce then place inside your bao buns. Top with shredded cabbage and sprinkle over the toasted sesame seeds.
- Garnish with fresh coriander and serve hot. Enjoy!