Love teriyaki chicken and want to try something new to “wow” your friends? Why not give this recipe a try!
Makes: 4 small or 2 large pizza
Preparation time: 40 minutes + 1.5 hours for raising the dough
Cooking time: 30 minutes
250g high-grade flour plus extra for dusting
1 tsp white sugar
1 Tbsp dry yeast
1/4 tsp salt
1 Tbsp olive oil
125ml (1/2 cup) lukewarm water
1/2 tsp squid ink for colouring
300g chicken thighs, cut into strips
25 g brown sugar
50ml soy sauce
50ml cooking sake
2 Tbsp flour to dust
Oil to cook
Other ingredients to make 4 small pizzas:
1 red onion, sliced
4 Tbsp Japanese mayonnaise
4 Tbsp corn kernels
100g mozzarella cheese, grated
1 fresh avocados – remove skin, stone and cut into cubes
1/2 Nori sheet – shredded with scissors
To make dough:
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, dry yeast and salt. Slowly add oil and lukewarm water, stirring until the mixture comes together roughly. On a lightly floured bench, knead the dough until soft and smooth (takes approx 10 mins).
- Divide the dough into half with a knife. Place one half into an oiled bowl, cover with tea towel and set aside in a warm area for 1-1.5 hours or until doubled in size. Add squid ink to the other half of the dough and knead for another 5 minutes until colour is spread evenly. Place the dough into an oiled bowl, cover and set aside in a warm area.
To make Teriyaki Chicken:
- Mix sugar, soy sauce, mirin and cooking sake in a small pot and bring to boil. Reduce heat to medium and simmer for 2 minutes.
- Heat oil in a frying pan over a medium-high heat. Dust chicken and cook for 2-3 minutes. Turn and cook other side for another couple of minutes or until chicken is cooked through. Pour teriyaki sauce into the pan and cook until thickened and lightly caramelised. Remove from heat and cool.
- Pre heat oven to 200 degrees.
- Divide the dough into 4pc (2 white and 2 black) and roll each into a ball. On a lightly floured bench, roll out one ball flat so it’s roughly 20cm diameter. Place onto an oiled stainless plate or lined oven tray.
- Pierce it with a fork (this will prevent it from rising during cooking), spread 1 Tbsp of mayonnaise and add red onion and corn kernels. Place teriyaki chicken on top and drizzle sauces. Add chopped avocado, sprinkle grated cheese on top and repeat this to make three more small pizzas.
- Bake for 15-17 minutes (for small pizza) you might need to cook for a bit longer if you are making a large pizza.
- Remove from oven, sprinkle shredded nori and serve!