The weather is getting warmer and warmer and I thought this recipe would be a great one for long weekend. Make a lot and enjoy instead of a bag of potato chips!
‘Renkon’ is a Lotus root and aesthetically they have holes and a very unique texture. Enjoy with the seasoning mix on top of these chips to add flavour. Perfect with a beer!
Preparation Time: 5 minutes
Cooking Time: 20 minutes
2 Frozen Lotus Root (Renkon), defrosted and finely sliced
1 litre of vinegar water (mix 1L water & 1 tsp vinegar)
Canola oil for deep frying
1 tsp Sea salt
1/4 tsp Chili flakes
Zest of 1/2 lime
- Pre-heat oven to 180 degrees.
- Soak the sliced lotus root in vinegar water for a couple of minutes to avoid discoloration.
- Pat dry the lotus slices with a paper towel and place them on a baking tray (recommend to use baking paper underneath to avoid sticking to the tray)
- Bake in the oven for about 15-20 mins to dehydrate the lotus to make the chips crispy later on (the time will depend on the thickness of your lotus slices)
- Heat oil in a small pot or wok to 180 degrees and deep fry the lotus for a minute or until it turns to a light golden colour.
- Place the lotus on a paper towel and sprinkle seasoning mix while they are hot
- Store in an air-tight container
Team Building Auckland, Cooking classes Auckland, Renkon Chips, Cooking Classes New Zealand