Sachie’s Miso Walnut Brownie
Most people think of Miso as a savoury ingredient, a salty soup that comes with Japanese food, or maybe you’ve even had miso marinaded fish (a recipe for that is on this blog). But have you ever thought of using Miso in desserts? It’s not salty at all! You’ll be surprised how Miso will add a depth of flavour to your desserts. It will become your secret ingredient!
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking Time: 20 minutes
1 & 1/4 cup self-raising flour, sifted
125g butter, softened
1 cup brown sugar
1 Tbsp Miso
1 TbspYoghurt (unsweetened)
1 cup walnuts, coarsely crushed
Yoghurt (unsweetened) or whipped cream
- Pre-heat oven to 180 degrees on bake. Line a 15cmx27cm loaf tine with baking paper.
- Combine Miso and yoghurt in a small bowl and set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix butter and brown sugar until smooth.
- Add miso-yoghurt mix and 2/3 of walnuts to the large bowl and mix well.
- Sift self-rising flour into the mixture and mix well.
- Pour the mixture into cake tin and sprinkle the rest of the walnuts on top. Bake for 20 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and rest the cake in the cake tin until cool.
- Remove the baking paper and slice to serve with yoghurt or whipped cream.
Hope you enjoy! If you try this recipe, make sure to take a picture and post it on my Facebook or tweet it at me @sachieskitchen so I can have a look to see how it turned out!