This is my go to fried noodle! The ingredients list may seem like a lot, but to save time I like to pre-make the sauce and chilli oil and keep them stored in the fridge – this will save you a lot of time!
Chilli oil (makes 300g)
30g large dried chillis – soaked in water for 5 minutes
2pc (35g) fresh red chilli
2pc (100g) shallots, chopped
1 tsp fine salt
150 ml cooking oil
1 Tbsp chilli water (from the soaked dried chillis)
2 tsp dark soy sauce
1 Tbsp soy sauce
1 Tbsp fish sauce
1 tsp white sugar
1 Tbsp ABC sweet soy sauce
1 tsp oyster sauce
Pinch of white pepper
1-2 garlic cloves, sliced
8pc prawn cutlets, defrosted
4pc fish cakes, sliced (optional)
50g garlic chives, cut to 5cm long
2 handfuls mung bean sprouts
2 Chinese sausages, sliced
500g flat noodles (you can buy these from Asian stores, often sitting by the counter)
2 Tbsp Shaoxing wine
2 Tbsp oil
2 tsp chilli oil
- To make the chilli oil, first soak the dry chillis in water for 5 minutes (reserve 1 Tbsp of the water to use later).
- Remove from the water and add to a blender along with the fresh chilli, shallots and 1 Tbsp of reserved chilli water. Blitz until it turns into a paste-like texture.
- Add oil to a pot and bring to a medium-high heat. Cook the paste in the oil for 5-10 minutes. Remove from heat and store in a clean jar.
- Mix all the sauce ingredients together in a bowl and set aside.
- The best way to make Char Kuay Teow is to cook it per serve – it doesn’t take too long! Heat up a wok on a high heat and add a tablespoon of oil. Add the garlic, Chinese sausages and fish cakes and stir for 1 minute.
- Add the prawn cutlets and stir-fry for 1 minute then add 1 Tbsp of Shaoxing Wine. Give it a quick stir.
- Move the ingredients to one side of the wok, crack an egg and cook for 45 sec (just like you would make an omelette) before you mix together with other ingredients.
- Add 1 tsp of chillli oil and give it a quick stir.
- Add noodles and 2 Tbsp of sauce and give it a quick stir until all the noodles turn a nice dark colour. Add chives and mung bean sprouts. Toss together for 30 sec and serve immediately. Enjoy!