This recipe only requires three ingredients, kumara, coffee sugar and oil – it’s so simple to make! The perfect snack to eat when you want something sweet 😀
Preparation time: 5 minutes
Cooking time: 10 minutes
2 kumara (300g each), washed
Canola oil, for deep-frying
90g coffee sugar crystals
2 tsp black or brown sesame seeds, toasted (optional)
- Slice kumara, cut into sticks and soak in water for a couple of minutes to remove starch.
- Drain and pat kumara with paper towel to remove any excess moisture.
- Heat oil in a small pan and deep-fry kumara for 2 minutes or until cooked through. Drain on paper towel, place in a bowl and set aside.
- Meanwhile, put sugar and 4 tablespoons water in a small pan and bring to boil, caramelize (until it coats the back of the spoon), and remove from heat.
- Drizzle hot caramel over kumara and toss to coat (be careful not to touch the melted sugar as this is hot).
- Sprinkle with toasted sesame seeds to serve.